Update: I am pleased to announce availability of my Pen & Ink Drawing Workbooks at Amazon and other online retailers. Available for just $6 (Paperback) and $2.99 (Kindle), they are a great way to learn drawing pen and ink landscapes. Try them today.
Stone is a great addition to any landscape scene as it is relatively easy to draw and really helps to anchor a scene and creates simple focal point. Follow this tutorial to learn how to draw a stone in simple steps.
To understand how to draw a stone, it is useful to visualize a box. When seen in three quarter view, which is most interesting, you can see its left side, right side and top. Same is the case with a stone. You just need to make the sides irregular and add marks to show surface texture of the stone.
To believably depict a stone you need to accomplish following 2 things:
- Show its solidity by defining planes and shading them appropriately to bring out their solidity.
- Use various marks and other techniques to bring out the rough texture of the stone.
To draw a stone, follow the steps shown below. First the planes (left, right and top) are draw with lines. Next they are shaded to bring out solidity and finally additional marks are added to enhance its texture.
By varying the length and angles of lines for different sides, you can create many interesting shapes. Some examples are shown below. Angled top is always more appealing.
Suggestions on Finishing a stone:
To make a stone look more believable, use the following techniques:
- Add intersecting planes at the edges and in the body. To do this in an edge, create a discontinuity in the edge line as shown below.
2. Make the edge broken and irregular by adding dark spots and lines as shown below.
3. Use different direction of parallel lines for shading to suggest plane change. This will add to the interest.
4. Use small random marks to give overall effect of rough texture
5. Shade one side darker than other depending on light source. Also shade bottom darker than the top of sides. This gives solidity to the depiction of stone.
Options on Depicting a Side:
An important consideration for a side of a stone is the nature of its ‘irregularity’ as it will affect how it is depicted. Following are 2 options:
- The side has mostly small surface irregularities but no major plane change: In this case simply use marks shown below to show surface irregularities. The edge lines should not have major angles.
2. The side has sharp angled plane: Stones are more interesting if the side has an angled plane. To do this, the edge lines need to have a sharp angle that can be used to create a plane as shown below.
Above discussion on adding plane to side can now be generalized to create stones that have multiple planes.
Drawing Stone with Multiple Planes:
Drawing round stone is achieved in similar manner where curved shading lines should be used to depict the roundness of stone.
Drawing Stone in the shape of a mountain:
If the shape of stone is broad at bottom and thins at the top with ragged edges, then the technique discussed in Drawing Mountain tutorial can be used to draw stone as well as shown below.
Rock can be seen as a bigger stone or smaller mountain and techniques discussed in this and Drawing Mountain tutorial can be used to draw a ‘rock’.
Drawing a group of Stones:
Always start with the stone in first and follow the steps described earlier but don’t draw the plane lines that are not visible due to stone arrangement. Finish the stones as explained before.
Same steps can be used for stones going down as shown below. Stones should also become smaller with distance. Also note that in examples below, less dark is used for shading to give stones more of sunlit effect. Experiment with different levels of shading to see what you like.
You can also Subscribe to receive my weekly emails that demonstrate how do a simple drawing in easy step by step manner. These are great for regular practice and to get weekly inspiration. See a sample here.
Back to Tutorials:
I will be regularly adding new templates and tutorials. If you would like to be notified of any new addition, pl. send me your email address in the form below.